Snakes are one of the most terrifying creatures in the animal kingdom, especially Green Anacondas. Green Anacondas are enormous in both size and weight. They have been known to devour pigs, deer, and even big cats like Jaguar. There's a lot to know and learn about these special species. Here are some interesting facts and information about the Green Anaconda.
1. The Size difference between a male and a female Green Anaconda is easily noticeable. On Average, a female anaconda can grow up to 5 meters (16.5 ft) in length, while a typical male anaconda grows up to only 2.7 meters (9 ft).
2. Humans are extremely scared of Anacondas. However, there have never been any confirmed instances of anacondas killing someone. Anacondas are known to eat creatures that are comparable in size to humans, though.
3. The eyes and nostrils of an anaconda are located above its head so it can breathe and watch out while staying in the water.
4. A Green Anaconda belongs to the Boa family. Members of the Boa family are non-venomous snakes. They wrap around their prey to suffocate before consuming them whole.
5. A Green Anaconda can weigh over 500 pounds (225 kg), which makes it the ‘heaviest snake on the planet’.
6. Cannibalism is prevalent among snakes. Female anacondas have been reported to eat their male companion after mating.
7. For mating, two to twelve male anacondas will encircle a single female anaconda. This interaction of them is called a breeding ball which can stay together for almost a month.
8. Rather than laying eggs, a female anaconda gives birth to live young. A newborn anaconda does not dependent on her mother for survival.
9. Anacondas do have teeth even though they don't chew their food. They, in fact, have four rows of teeth fixed in their upper jaws.
Learn more about animals here.